According to the ILS questionnaire, I am more reflective than active in my learning, much more sensitive than intuitive, more verbal than visual, and a little more sequential than global. I definitely think that I am a more sensitive learner than an intuitive learner. I am more fact oriented and like to solve problems. I also agree that I am a more verbal than visual learner. I would rather hear a professor talk about a topic than read about it in the text book. I tend to remember thing more when I hear them than just read them for myself. I am also a sequential person in my life. I like to do things in a logical way that I can understand.
When I look at the results of my Multiple Intelligences test, I also mostly agree with the results. I learn better when there are some kinesthetics incorporated and I think that I am a logical person. If I am able to do something myself rather than just see it being done I learn it much faster. I also prefer to do things in a logical and orderly manner. The results of this test also say that I am high in my interpersonal and intrapersonal areas. I would also agree with this. I am a very relationally oriented person and this weighs heavily in how I learn.
The ways in which I learn will undoubtedly affect the way I teach. I will probably be more apt to incorporate kinesthetics into my teaching practices and approach information in a more sensitive way as opposed to intuitive. It will be harder for me to think in an intuitvive or global way because that is not how I naturally tend to think. In order to counteract this, I will have to make a concious effort to present information in both verbal and visual ways. I will have to make sure that I do my best to cater to the needs of students who are kinesthetic learners and who are high in their musical capabilities. It will take a lot of effort on my part, but I know that I can find ways in which to reach all students, no matter how they learn. I will have to make sure that I know my students and how they learn, and that I seek out new information on how to present material in ways that cater to the students' needs.


No comments:
Post a Comment